Elon Musk to buy Twitter for $44 billion

Elon Musk to buy Twitter for $44 billion

Twitter has accepted Elon Musk’s buyout offer. Musk is purchasing the social media giant for $54.20 per share, or about $44 billion. The Tesla chief will take the company private, and also said he planned to upgrade Twitter by protecting free speech, open-sourcing algorithms, fighting spam bots and “authenticating all humans.”

Twitter’s board unanimously approved the acquisition. The deal is expected to close sometime in 2022, although that will hinge on approvals from both regulators and shareholders.

The decision comes after a flurry of activity from Musk. The Tesla CEO bought a 9.2 percent share of Twitter in early April following criticism of the social media firm’s free speech policies. He argued Twitter was falling short of its duties as a “de facto public town square.” Twitter quickly said Musk would join its board of directors, but the tech executive decided against the move days later. While he didn’t say why he had second thoughts, the board appointment would have prevented him from owning more than 14.9 percent of the company — he couldn’t have taken control during his term.

Well I guess Elon got the power, hopefully he is able to decentralize the platform and allow freedom of speech! LFG

1 Like

Finally, Elon Musk has reached an agreement to acquire Twitter! :confetti_ball: :raised_hands:t3:

I’ve been following the news for some time after he has said he wants to buy Twitter because he thinks it’s not living up to its potential as a platform for "free speech."

VERY EXCITING TIMES AHEAD OF US!

One of the things i see happening next after this landmark event is DOGE coin. Yes, DOGE coin!