Ethereum Scalability / Viability

Ethereum has been the dominant platform on which to build tokens. And yet, there are serious problems with its scalability. In 2019, Vitalik admitted that the network is almost full / clogged up:

Also, the transaction costs would be getting out of hand. I remember interviewing the Kik Messenger team about this on our panel at the Blockchain Tech Summit in NYC:

Even one successful project can clog up the network. Here is the inside story from CryptoKitties:

The network started to become really clogged. All of the blockchain read activity caused our daily requests to explode from 2 Billion/day to over 4 Billion/day… overnight! In addition, the pending transaction queue kept rising, which means the network wasn’t processing fast enough to clear out new requests. When that happens, the miners reset the gas price to make transactions cost more, and then market forces will control the queue. So, all of a sudden, the fees to buy the kitty cost more than the asset itself. That was not good, and was the trigger that we had a problem. That threatened to kill CryptoKitties entirely, because when the fees are so inhibitive, it’s game over.”

We will need a new architecture for crypto to power everyday payments. Otherwise, these tokens will continue to have a reputation as a “scam” because they can raise money but can’t actually be used.

3 Likes

I mean even without Kik messenger has some other problems as well. SEC had a huge problem with them over their KIN tokens.

1 Like

Interesting read. I’ve had concerns with Ethereum for a long time.

1 Like

It’s sad to hear such news from the top project.
Is it possible to clean the network? I mean, at least hypothetically.

2 Likes

This just in: ETH has $99 transaction fees!

2 Likes

Well now that the DeFi bubble has burst we are seeing gas fees normalize a bit. About time because they were pricing everyone else out of making transactions and stifling growth.

Which is the new angle of Intercoin about solving those problems?

Looks like Ethereum fees are now even higher!
Eventually, the industry needs to move past blockchains…

https://community.intercoin.org/t/for-mainstream-adoption-crypto-must-ditch-global-consensus

1 Like

I feel like ETH will crash soon. No way this is sustainable, 99% of users are priced out of ETH at these prices. Only whales can afford.

For our readers here this is the alternative system we’ve designed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGQBvgHrx3Y&t=281s

Alright, so it’s years later. And we are still experiencing the same issues on all the blockchains. I found this interesting quote I wanted to share:

By the way, I’ll point out that monolithic blockchains are struggling to keep up even with this tiny, tiny level of activity. Rollups & specialized DA layers like data shards are inevitable. Since I wrote that post, Polygon PoS has bumped their gas floor 30x, Solana has occasional instability (usually short-lived, but up to 18 hours downtime), Binance Smart Chain is in meltdown, Avalanche C-chain gas prices tend to skyrocket when blocks are full etc. All of these projects have seen any real activity for only a few months, there’s zero chance they can sustain over decades. The evidence is mounting, at this point I have zero doubts about the rollups, volitions, data shards & DA layers being pervasive throughout the blockchain industry. Sorry, you know I had to mention it!

It’s time to start moving past blockchains. We’ve finalized the architecture of the Intercoin base layer Protocol this year, and we might start building it in 2022!

2 Likes

The thought of moving past blockchain, wow what a time to be alive. @Greg_Magarshak you’re onto something! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Blockchain is so yesterday at intercoin! Catch up world :roll_eyes::rofl:

1 Like

We will see how things play out. We need to get you a meeting with Vitalik or someone smart

1 Like

Easy, let’s do this! LFG :sunglasses:

1 Like

Here’s a chart I found of Ethereum fees and their growth over the last two years… this is what happens as blockchains get mainstream adoption. Even if everyone moves to proof-of-stake, everyone has to store everything. The entire state of the blockchain. Unless they do sharding, too. And if they’re going to do sharding, they might look into Intercoin’s consensus mechanism and proposed protocol :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very few blockchains have accomplished sharding. Not sure why more people have not moved on to blockchains that have?

If it’s a popularity contest — heads up lots of my popular high school friends are no longer popular! :exploding_head:Things change & Intercoin changing the game!