Vladimir Putin Says He Accepts Crypto’s Role in Making Payments

Russian President Vladimir Putin signaled tolerance of cryptocurrencies, which are drawing increasing scrutiny from regulators around the world amid fears they can be used for money laundering and criminal activity.

Cryptocurrency “has the right to exist and can be used as a means of payment,” Putin said in an interview with CNBC

This is all getting weird… even just the facts he is speaking of rights…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-14/putin-defends-cryptocurrencies-amid-global-regulation-push

6 Likes

Nothing happens for no reason. Wait until Russia comes up with their own digital currency haba

4 Likes

I’m curious to know how Putin can adapt crypto to Russia, though.

3 Likes

Actually that’s great news!! I’m really curious to see the way Putin will implement crypto in Russia.

Yeah me too, can’t wait😁

Well… have you seen how crypto was adopted in China?
I think it would be similarly adopted in Russia - as a centralised way to monitor all citizens…

Maybe everyone was waiting for the US to act first so they could follow suit.

In some areas I think you are right.
And according to article at Coindesk, SEC finally approved Bitcoin ETFs to open Crypto to wider investor base.

It announced that ProShares is set to launch trading of its bitcoin futures ETF next week.

1 Like

Interesting news, thanks for sharing!

I am of the opinion that regulators can warm up to crypto if it behaves like Intercoin – namely, makes local cryptocurrencies usable for payments, and stabilizes the price for merchants.

The reason many governments are wary of crypto is that it is very volatile, and can be used to launder huge amounts of money. But crypto and smart contracts can be used for a lot more applications – as long as someone actually builds them!

2 Likes